Chaverim - 24 months - 4 years
Chaverim is the Hebrew word for “friends” and is for campers ages 24 months – 4 years of age.
In Chaverim, we welcome new campers into our Camp Yachad family with age-appropriate activities designed specifically for preschoolers.
Chaverim is all about getting messy and creative with friends in the sun (and air conditioning in well-appointed camp rooms.) Inspired by the child-centered constructivist approach to early childhood education in our nationally renowned Brody Family Early Learning Center, our Chaverim unit is aligned with our early childhood experiences and philosophy. Steeped in a belief that camp should be hours of fun, engagement, personal challenges, messy play and unadulterated joy, our Chaverim unit is designed to provide experiences that meet those needs.
- Campers spend their days in a nurturing, structured indoor/outdoor camp environment.
- Home base for each group is inside our preschool wing so our littlest campers are protected from the summer heat.
- Each day is kicked off with their very own spirited Boker Tov (good morning) activity.
- American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim instruction from our acclaimed Aquatics Department in our indoor pool. (We’ve heard parents throughout the years credit Camp Yachad swim instruction for making their kids strong swimmers!)
- Campers can romp around in our J2O zero-entry outdoor pool with splash ground fun!
- Your Chaverim camper’s day will include:
Bounce!: Hot on the heels of our early childhood C.A.T.C.H. program (Coordinated Approach to Childhood Health and Nutrition, a JCCA initiative) is a gross motor program designed specifically for our youngest campers. You have to bounce before you can C.A.T.C.H!
Messy Art: We’re talking outdoor, messy, painting with your feet, spray bottles on enormous canvases, ice pops as paint brushes, FUN! This is where you are thankful it is not in your living room!
Exploration: STEAM for young learners! Our staff will set up a station with all the bells and whistles for your campers to tinker and create to their hearts’ content. There may be bubble making, speed and velocity work, building/bridge construction and design, etc.
Movers/Shakers: Under the guidance of an experienced early childhood music educator (and long-time camp counselor) our campers will sing, dance and joyfully make music!
Swim: “Let’s go swimming, let’s go swimming!” We will have splashing in the splash pool and learning in the indoor pool.
Tumble Jam: The famous “Mr. Patrick” will lead his amazing age-appropriate repertoire of moving to musical instruction and directions.
Outdoor Classroom Time: Our JCC outdoor classroom (consisting of climbing/play equipment, our organic, sustainable garden, a mud kitchen and outdoor construction/building site) will be ready to be explored. Child-centered and initiated play will be encouraged and facilitated.
Story: Our story specialist will use children’s literature to inspire and delight our campers. She will encourage dramatic and artistic response and discussion.
- Special events and theme days are an important part of Chaverim, complete with entertainment, carnival inflatables and more!
- Get this...door-to-door transportation (for ages 3+), lunch and snacks are included!
- Each week finishes up with a Chaverim-only lively Shabbat celebration with songs and dancing!
Adult Unit Directors oversee staff and campers. Adult Senior Counselors, who are certified teachers (college juniors/seniors studying education in the 4s), supervise each group. Adult Assistant Counselors (high school graduates), Junior Counselors (rising 11th and 12th graders) and Counselors in Training/CITs (rising 10th graders) support each group. Professional specialty instructors are also on-hand to make your child’s summer day camp experience the best it can be!
Camp Yachad is available to JCC members. For more information about membership, click here.